Central Command has a long history dating from the 1940s. The Command was first formed as 2 West African Infantry Brigade in the then Gold Coast, now Ghana, as part of the 82nd West African Division in 1940, for operations in the Second World War. The first commander vas a British officer named Bigadier Richards. Its major units were 1, 2 and 3 Gold Coast Regiments; (now 1, 2 and 3 Battalions of Infantry in the Ghana Army). The Brigade, as part of the 82nd West African Division, sailed o East Africa in June 1940, and for 14 months saw action in Abyssinia and Uaddara.
The Brigade returned to the Gold Coast in 1941 only for a brief period of time. In October 1942, it embarked on another external operation to the Gambia to counter the threats of the French forces on the borders of that territory. The Brigade returned to the Gold Coast in 1943 after the operations in the Gambia.
In April 1944, during the peak of the Second World War, the Brigade was moved to Southeast Asia where it took part in the famous Burma Campaigns with a significant achievement in the Battle of Myohaung on 23 January 1945. It is important to note that this Brigade contributed tremen dously to turn defeat into victory for the allied forces in Southeast Asia. The Brigade remained operational until the end of hostilities in 1945 when it returned home and was disbanded in 1946.
On 22 July 1960, the Ghana Congo Brigade was formed out of the units that had been deployed to The Zaire, ONUC (UN Operations in the ast Tongo (now Democratic Republic the Congo). T/Brigadier JE fichel, until then CO 2 Infantry Battalion, was appointed Acting Commander of the Ghana Congo Brigade. In the Congo, the Brigade operated in the Leopodville and Kasai provinces.
In late April 1961, the Brigade HQ was re-designated HQ 2 Ghana Infantry Brigade Group,Lulubourg
In June the same year, this formation was re-designated HQ 1 Infantry Brigade Group and another HQ 2 Infantry Brigad Suny Group was provisionally formed in Accra, under Brig Tadman.
Finally, on 1 October 1962, the 2 Infantry Brigade Group was formally established in Kumasi and fully incorporated into the Ghana Army under the command of Brigadier NA Aferi, the first Ghanaian Brigade Commander. Its lc initial major units were 3 Infantry Battalion located at Kaladan Barracks, Tamale; 5 Infantry Battalion at Kamina Barracks, Tamale; Parachute Battalion at Airport Ridge, Tamale and the Armed Forces Recruit Training Centre and Junior Leaders Company at Uaddara Barracks, Kumasi.
After the 1966 coup d'etat that toppled the first republic, a number of battalion rotations took place. The 3 Bn moved to Sunyani while 4 Bn moved into Uaddara Barracks. 6 Bn replaced 5 Bn in Tamale. The parachute Battalion was re designated Airborne Force. The Brigade was then enlarged and consisted of four major units: 3 Infantry Battalion at Liberation Barracks, Sunyani; 4 Infantry Battalion in Complex and Uaddara Barracks in Kumasi; 6 Infantry Battalion in Kamina Barracks, Tamale and the Airborne Force (ABF) in Barwah Barracks also in Tamale. There is also 2 Armoured Recce Squadron stationed in Sunyani. The support arms and services are 2 Signal Sqn, 494 Engineer Squadron, 2 Mechanical Transport Company, 2 FdWksp, 2 Fd Ambulance and 2 Field Ordinance Company. These are all located in Kumasi. The B Battery of 66 Artillery Regiment and 2 Field Squadron of 48 Engr Regt are affiliated to the Group but are located with their units in peace time.
The Headquart (HQ) was located at the office the present Ashanti Regiona development Corporation in Kasi. The HQ moved to its present location at Idris Barracks, which was originally the European Hospital in Kumasi, and later became the Kwadaso Camp. The camp is named after the late WOI Idris of 48 Engr Regt who was shot dead in 1983 during an abortive attempt to overthrow the Revolution of 31 December 1981.
The Brigade's logo or emblem was adapted from the 82 West African Division. This consists of two crossed spears passing through an African head-pad with the inscription "Through Our Carriers We Fight", all against a yellow background. The motto and the logo recognise the vital role played by the auxiliary groups of the Division in Burma. Personnel of the auxiliary group carried very heavy loads on their heads in the traditional African style, enabling the formations to move through very dense jungle and mountain ous country, a task which most non African brigade groups could hardly accomplish.
In March 2000, the formation was re-designated Northern Command and the first General Officer Commanding the Formation (GOC) was Maj Gen HK Anyidoho. However, it is important to note that the Northern Command has had six (6) GOCS after Maj Gen Anyidoho. These are Brig Gen JH Smith, Brig Gen G Aryiku, Brig Gen JN Adinkrah, Brig Gen CK Ocran, Brig Gen R Opoku-Adusei and Brig Gen JA Boampong.